It’s been 60 years since 7-year-old Connie Bull cut a red ribbon stretched across the entrance to the Pawleys Island Pier to open a new chapter in the island’s long history.
Unlike today, the pier was a dominant feature for visitors as soon as they crossed the North Causeway at Myrtle Avenue. Condos and houses block the view now, but on July 10, 1954, there was a bare, clay-and-sand parking lot the size of a football field adjoining the pier. About 750 people attended the opening in a light rain. As niece of co-owner Arthur Ehrich, young Connie was selected to cut the ribbon during the ceremony. State Rep. James Moore presented a certificate for $50 to the pier’s construction superintendent. Shrimp plates were served, and prizes awarded for the most fish caught from the pier that day along with the smallest and biggest. Pawleys Island had its landmark. Visitors paid 50 cents to walk to the end.
*Published in “Beaches,” the Coastal Observer’s summer magazine.